This special blend grass lawn blend was created specifically for those areas where low maintenance is a must such as steep hillsides, deep roughs on golf courses, RV parks, Cabins, or planting with wildflowers, or for lazy homeowners like me :) It's great in small or large landscapes! It's relatively deep roots help it compete well against weeds and makes it more drought-resistant than typical turf.
If left to its own devices, it reaches 6-8" in height and forms flowing mounds of grass and seed heads. If you decide to mow we recommend 3 inches, high mowing has many benefits from weed reduction to gas savings and your Eco-Mow lawn will have a more traditional turf look.
Even though Eco-Mow is non-native it has many benefits over traditional turf:
- Forms a dense sod
- Requires little fertilizer if any
- Requires little water if any once established
- Less mowing per year if desired
- Adaptable to a wide range of soils and growing conditions
- Very good adaptation to shade and full sunlight
- Thrives in most moderately to well-drained soils
- Adaptable to a wide range of soil pH
- Excellent for moderate foot traffic
- Quality turf even on unfavorable sites
- Rapid establishment
Timing is critical to assure success when seeding cool-season grasses like this one. Mid-August to early-September is the ideal time for seeding lawns in northern Illinois. April would be the second choice. Seeding in late spring through mid-summer often leads to problems as the summer heat slows or stops grass development of our cool-season grasses and they are often stressed from drought.Seeding Rate
- New Seeding Rate:
- 8 lbs/1000 sq ft
- 220 lbs/acre
- 3-4 lbs/1000 sq ft
- 175 lbs/acre
25% Hard Fescue, 25% Chewings Fescue, 25% Creeping Red Fescue, 25% Sheeps Fescue
*All mixes may vary in % composition and species composition based upon availability.