IL CP42 Pollinator Habitat Seed - Illinois
IL CP42 Pollinator Habitat Seed - Illinois
Each Farm Service office tends to have slightly different mixes and goals. Please email us to let us know your standards and approximate budget and we will happily give you a quote to meet your needs. Rates are based on the specific blend you require. If you are using a standard mix below are the prices. If we are short on a species we will need to provide a substitute at an adjusted cost.
IL CP42 Dry Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Dry Monarch Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Dry Slope Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Dry Slope Monarch Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Mesic Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Mesic Monarch Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Mesic Slope Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Mesic Slope Monarch Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Wet Pollinator Mix
IL CP42 Wet Monarch Pollinator Mix
The Importance of Pollinators
Agricultural productivity is directly dependent on pollinators, especially bees, to produce more than one-third of our food products. In fact, bee-pollinated commodities account for $20 billion in annual U.S. agricultural production and $217 billion worldwide. In addition to bees, other pollinators, including butterflies and moths, beetles, flies, wasps, birds, and bats are necessary for pollinating more than 80 percent of plants. Without pollinators providing pollen, many plants could not set seed and reproduce; and consequently many animal populations and species would die out. This has serious economic implications for humans and for native ecosystem diversity and stability.
Pollinator Habitat Initiative and the Conservation Reserve Program
Pollinators have declined worldwide as a result of habitat loss and other factors; however, the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), Pollinator Habitat Initiative (CP-42), offers landowners a way to create longer-lasting meadows of high-quality native wildflowers that support pollinators and other wildlife populations throughout the growing season while increasing the percentage of fast-blooming forage legumes and other wildflowers that have traditionally been a part of CRP plant mixes.
For more than 25 years, CRP has provided millions of acres of habitat for honey bees and other pollinators. With abundant acres of legume-rich forage or diverse wildflower plantings, CRP lands offer hives (bee colonies) large-scale sources of pollen and nectar that keep pollinators and their habitat healthy. CP-42 practices are comprised of native plant species although exceptions are made if diverse native seed mixes are unavailable. The species mix should include a variety of plants that grow at different times throughout the growing seasons providing a diversity of pollen sources that are critical for honey bee and native bee health. These plants can be an integral part of the conservation practices that landowners, farmers, and ranchers install as part of their conservation plan. Combined, these efforts will increase pollinator habitat across the U.S. and contribute substantially to crop pollination on farms where their habitat needs are met.
Contact your local FSA office for the forms needed to enroll in this program. Phone numbers for county offices can be found online at https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/index
*It is up to the purchaser to confirm with the local FSA office that the mix that complies with requirements.
- Requires Cold Moist Stratification
- Full Sun To Part Sun
- Normal to Dry Soils
- Don't forget the cover crop.
*All mixes may vary in % composition and species composition based upon availability.
All seed sales are final and can not be returned because they are custom mixed at the time of purchase.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Have a Question?
Be the first to ask a question about this.
Shipping & Care
Shipping & Care
We want to ensure that our customers get what they want, a native backyard oasis. To do that, we need to follow a few simple guidelines and give you some information and pointers to make sure you get your plants delivered in a healthy state.
As a reminder, you will receive an email to confirm your pickup or shipping window just before the plants are ready. See Order Fulfillment below for seasonal fulfillment windows.
Choices to Receive Your Plants & Accessories
- Retail - We only offer shipping & shipping is calculated at check out*
- We do not offer retail pick up
- Wholesale - Delivery is customized based on order size and location
- Wholesale - Pickup is free
Order Fulfilment - When Your Plants or Other Items Will Be Ready
We take orders all year long and seed is shipped all year, but we only provide the plants to you in certain fulfillment windows to ensure healthy plants.
- Shipped or are Ready For Pick Up As Requested.
Retail & Website Orders
- Seed Typically Ships Out Within One Week Of Order All Year Long
- Typically, single species flats ship when ready, sometimes as soon as early to mid-April (depends on weather) through early-October.
- Mixed species kits are batched and shipped as indicated on the product page.
- If a plant order is placed while outside of the plant fulfillment window your plants will be reserved through your payment, however, the order will not be fulfilled and shipped until the following spring. We don't want to provide you plants when they won't be happy during the cold winter months.
- Early in the spring and later in the fall certain species may be dormant or partially dormant with brown leaves, however they will return to grow healthy next growing season.
- Your order may arrive in several different shipments.
- If certain plants within an order will not be available until a later date, we may choose to hold the full order until all are ready. In certain circumstances, we may choose to send them in two separate shipments
- Fulfillment is always dependent upon plant availability. We try our best but sometimes plants do not overwinter well and perish. If a plant is on back order you will receive an email indicating the estimated shipping date. If we can not provide the plant we will first notify you and give you an option of substitution or a refund of that individual species.
- Plants are typically only packaged and shipped on Mondays to ensure they do not sit in the harsh delivery facility for extended periods of time over the weekend. You will receive a confirmation email once your delivery has been shipped and to estimate your delivery date.
- Apparel & accessories are ready typically within one to two weeks. See product page for holiday shipping.
Where We Ship
What to Expect When Receiving Your Delivery
- Your plants will be packaged with the utmost care
- We will need to cut back certain plants prior to shipping. This seems counter-intuitive, however, the fewer leaves the less water the plants can lose during shipping, resulting in healthier plants for you. This also enables the plants to fit within the protective packaging and shipped safely.
- Larger plant shipments will look similar to the picture below with a tray of your plants and a cardboard box to protect them during shipping.
What to Do With Your Plants After Receiving Your Delivery
- Unpack your order IMMEDIATELY
- Inspect for damage and report any issues immediately to Natives@NaturalCommunities.net
- Water your plants
- Install your plants as quickly as possible and water the entire garden area thoroughly
- If you cannot install your plants immediately
- Some plants may not be in a container, put them into some kind of a container such as a paper cup with loose soil until installation
- Make sure each plant is receiving the appropriate amount of light.
- Continue to water daily each morning and possibly again in the afternoon
- No additional fertilizer is needed