Although its name Lythrum alatum (Winged Loosestrife) may sound as if it is related to the invasive purple loosestrife, well it is and its family may have some bad voodoo, but this species is actually a beneficial native plant. It is a relatively common plant of quality wet prairie, marshes, and sedge meadows and can be used very effectively in wetland restoration projects. It can also be used in a rain garden as it has nice showy flowers in the mid-summer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Photo 1 By Bob Peterson from North Palm Beach, Florida, Planet Earth! [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Photo 2 By gmayfield10 [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
- Shipping & Pick Up
Choices to Receive Your Native Plants
- FREE LOCAL PICK UP From Our Location on Rt. 25 in Batavia, IL
- FREE EVENT PICK UP for Pre-Order Events Only (See Events Page)
- SHIPPING is $19.99 for plants
- SHIPPING is $29.99 for up to two #3 & #5 container shrubs and trees (#7 and up local pick up only)
- SHIPPING over two #3 & #5 container shrubs and trees are custom rates, email us
- SELECT YOUR CHOICE AT CHECKOUT UNDER "Shipping Method"
Order Fulfilment - When Your Plants or Other Items Will Be Ready
We take orders all year long and seed is shipped all year, but we only provide the plants to you in certain fulfillment windows to ensure healthy plants.
- Spring Plant Fulfilment - The spring plant order placement window is typically open all winter through mid-June. We typically ship or make the plants available for pick up when all species in your order are ready. Normally this occurs in late May or even into June as plants become mature, but is different from year to year. However, certain plants may not be available until late June or July (i.e. certain milkweeds) because they need to time to be grown to maturity. Each year is different so we will inform you of any plants needing additional time. These later plants will be shipped out separately as they become available.
- Fall Plant Fulfillment - The fall plant order placement window is typically mid-June through mid-September. We typically ship or make plants available for pick up in late September or early October. Certain plants may be dormant or may be starting to go dormant. These plants are perfectly fine and are going through a natural process. All plants will need to be planted immediately to be given time to root into the natural soil. Plants that are not available will be refunded or an available equivalently priced substitute can be offered.
- If an order is placed while outside of the plant fulfillment window your plants will be reserved through your payment, however, the order will not be fulfilled and shipped until the next fulfillment window has once again started or once the plants become available. We don't want to provide you plants when they won't be happy during the hot summer or cold winter months.
- If certain plants within an order will not be available until a later date we may choose to hold the full order until all are ready. In certain circumstances, we may choose to send them in two separate shipments
- Fulfillment is always dependent upon plant availability. We try our best but sometimes plants do not overwinter well and perish. If a plant is on back order you will receive an email indicating the estimated shipping date. If we can not provide the plant we will first notify you and give you an option of substitution or a refund of that individual species.
- Plants are typically only packaged and shipped on Mondays to ensure they do not sit in the harsh delivery facility for extended periods of time over the weekend. You will receive a confirmation email once your delivery has been shipped and to estimate your delivery date.
Where We Ship
What We Ship
- We ship all of our herbaceous plant material.
- We ship trees and bushes #5 container and smaller, #7 container and lager are only available for local pick up and at plant sales.
What to Expect When Receiving Your Delivery
- Your plants will be packaged with the utmost care
- We will need to cut back certain plants prior to shipping. This seems counter-intuitive, however, the fewer leaves the less water the plants can loose during shipping, resulting in heather plants for you. This also enables the plants to fit within the protective packaging and shipped safely.
Smaller plant shipments (12 or fewer plants) will look similar to the packaging below.
- Larger plant shipments (typically 13 or more plants) will look similar to the picture below with a tray of your plants and a cardboard box to protect them during shipping.
What to Do With Your Plants After Receiving Your Delivery
- Unpack your order IMMEDIATELY
- Inspect for damage and report any issues immediately to Natives@NaturalCommunities.net
- Water your plants
- Install your plants as quickly as possible and water the entire garden area thoroughly
- If you can not install your plants immediately
- Some plants may not be in a container, put them into some kind of a container such as a paper cup with loose soil until installation
- Make sure each plant is receiving the appropriate amount of light.
- Continue to water daily each morning and possibly again in the afternoon
- No additional fertilizer is needed