Wet Prairie Native Seed Mix
Wet Prairie Native Seed Mix
This mix is designed specifically for the wet prairie zone of a natural area, that halfway transition between wet and normal soil wetness. This mix is better applied in larger transitional areas with relatively steady water tables that tend to be squishy in the spring and tend to slightly dry out mid-summer then wet again in the fall. A lot of diversity can be found within these wet prairie transitional areas, which is why we jammed 40 species into this precise zone. When trying to maximize diversity, compete against invasive species like reed canary, and meet regulatory performance standards it is worth the investment in a well-designed, diverse mix with higher seed counts to meet your goals.
You may notice some similar species in the Detention Basin, Rain garden, and Bioswale Native Seed Mix, however, it is designed to cover stormwater pulses from urban and suburban runoff that can be fully submerged and then drained to be back to bone dry again within a 24 to 72 hour period. This wet prairie mix, on the other hand, is specifically drilled into that sweet spot just between wetland and upland that typically receives a more consistent hydrology lacking stormwater bounces.
With the diversity this mix provides, it attracts pollinators, such as butterflies including monarch, hummingbirds, and much more wildlife species. It also provides habitat for marsh and shorebirds and many more wetland wildlife species.
This mix is composed of 65% of sedge, grass, and rush species by seed count to compete against reed canary and other wet prairie invasive species, yet has a nice diversity of native wildflower species.
*This seed mix includes 40 species including 7 native grasses, 9 sedge and rush species, and 24 native flowers.
Use this as your base and add diversity by supplementing with plants.
- Please Specify Any Mixing Instructions Upon Order
- Requires Cold Moist Stratification
- Full Sun To Part Sun
- Wet to Wet-Mesic Soils
- Don't forget the cover crop.
*Provided as Pure Live Seed
*All mixes may vary in % composition and species composition based upon availability.
All seed sales are final and can not be returned because they are custom mixed at the time of purchase.
Shipping & Care
Shipping & Care
We want to ensure that our customers get what they want, a native backyard oasis. To do that, we need to follow a few simple guidelines and give you some information and pointers to make sure you get your plants delivered in a healthy state.
As a reminder, you will receive an email to confirm your pickup or shipping window just before the plants are ready. See Order Fulfillment below for seasonal fulfillment windows.
Choices to Receive Your Plants & Accessories
- Retail - We only offer shipping & shipping is calculated at check out*
- We do not offer retail pick up
- Wholesale - Delivery is customized based on order size and location
- Wholesale - Pickup is free
Order Fulfilment - When Your Plants or Other Items Will Be Ready
We take orders all year long and seed is shipped all year, but we only provide the plants to you in certain fulfillment windows to ensure healthy plants.
- Shipped or are Ready For Pick Up As Requested.
Retail & Website Orders
- Seed Typically Ships Out Within One Week Of Order All Year Long
- Typically, single species flats ship when ready, sometimes as soon as early to mid-April (depends on weather) through early-October.
- Mixed species kits are batched and shipped as indicated on the product page.
- If a plant order is placed while outside of the plant fulfillment window your plants will be reserved through your payment, however, the order will not be fulfilled and shipped until the following spring. We don't want to provide you plants when they won't be happy during the cold winter months.
- Early in the spring and later in the fall certain species may be dormant or partially dormant with brown leaves, however they will return to grow healthy next growing season.
- Your order may arrive in several different shipments.
- If certain plants within an order will not be available until a later date, we may choose to hold the full order until all are ready. In certain circumstances, we may choose to send them in two separate shipments
- Fulfillment is always dependent upon plant availability. We try our best but sometimes plants do not overwinter well and perish. If a plant is on back order you will receive an email indicating the estimated shipping date. If we can not provide the plant we will first notify you and give you an option of substitution or a refund of that individual species.
- Plants are typically only packaged and shipped on Mondays to ensure they do not sit in the harsh delivery facility for extended periods of time over the weekend. You will receive a confirmation email once your delivery has been shipped and to estimate your delivery date.
- Apparel & accessories are ready typically within one to two weeks. See product page for holiday shipping.
Where We Ship
What to Expect When Receiving Your Delivery
- Your plants will be packaged with the utmost care
- We will need to cut back certain plants prior to shipping. This seems counter-intuitive, however, the fewer leaves the less water the plants can lose during shipping, resulting in healthier plants for you. This also enables the plants to fit within the protective packaging and shipped safely.
- Larger plant shipments will look similar to the picture below with a tray of your plants and a cardboard box to protect them during shipping.
What to Do With Your Plants After Receiving Your Delivery
- Unpack your order IMMEDIATELY
- Inspect for damage and report any issues immediately to Natives@NaturalCommunities.net
- Water your plants
- Install your plants as quickly as possible and water the entire garden area thoroughly
- If you cannot install your plants immediately
- Some plants may not be in a container, put them into some kind of a container such as a paper cup with loose soil until installation
- Make sure each plant is receiving the appropriate amount of light.
- Continue to water daily each morning and possibly again in the afternoon
- No additional fertilizer is needed